Friday, January 26, 2007

Academy Award Acting Analysis...

I told an acquaintance this past Tuesday that it was a big day for me. "Quarter-end reporting finishing up?" she asked. "No...the Oscar nominations are out," I said with a grin. And then, to my surprise, we proceeded to enthusiastically talk about each of the categories (this person didn't seem like the type to do so). And that's why this past Tuesday is a big day for everyone....because everyone has an opinion. The Heralded Academy has spoken: mostly fu-reaky LA actors and studio execs...not exactly the ideal barometer of the best in art, but easily the best at getting press. So for your consideration, we little people here at our demure blog, the Fab Film Forum, digest and dish on this year's chosen few in the acting categories.

Best Supporting Actor:
Alan Arkin - Little Miss Sunshine
Jackie Earl Haley - Little Children
Djimon Hounsou - Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy - Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg - The Departed

AA all the way! I loved Alan Arkin in LMS. He got the cadence, the cavalier nature of someone his age. It was one of those performances that is so on that you cannot think of a single way it could be improved upon. I missed him when he was not on screen. Jackie Earl Haley was also fantastic - I would love if either of them won. I thought Mr. Haley's role would be one thing, and he got me to believe it was another. Its one of those performances where you feel what he's feeling even when he's not doing a single thing in that moment on screen. OK, the Blood Diamond guy Djimon Hounsou...call me once he does a romantic comedy well. He's like the Black Sean Penn...all anger and angst, but can they really act in any role? Perhaps, but I'm not buying yet. Eddie Murphy was really good, but on further thought, my thrill for his performance was more about what it was within that movie and also that it was a major change for him (admittedly done very well!) than it was for just his performance. His scene with Danny Glover wasn't all that when it should have been. And Mark Wahlberg...what was his role again?

WILL WIN: Eddie Murphy
BETTER NOT WIN: Djimon Hounsou
SHOULD WIN: Alan Arkin

Best Supporting Actress:
Adrianna Barraza - Babel
Cate Blanchett - Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin - Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi - Babel

Enough with the J-Hud train! Yes, she was great and entertaining, and she can definitely act. But I offer that it was a great song and a 2-note performance. It'll be very interesting to see what role she does next....but could she have done the other nominated roles very well? Adrianna Barraza was excellent as the Brad Pitt's and Cate Blanchett's nanny - what a range of scenes and emotions, and all believable - you just want to rescue her from that day. Ms. Blanchett was so fabulous that I didn't care that she was a felon. She should get an award for not only holding her own but also just matcing note for note Dame Judi's fierce acting. The Little Miss was a little cute. Fine. And Rinko Kikuchi of Babel was mezmerizing as the deaf-mute girl - look how she physically changes on the swing as she escapes one world for another. But in the end, I would go with Adrianna Barraza's heartbreaking performance of the nanny who is swept up in life-changing events.

WILL WIN: Jennifer Hudson
BETTER NOT WIN: Abigail Breslin
SHOULD WIN: Adrianna Barraza

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio - Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling - Half Nelson
Peter O'Toole - Venus
Will Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland

Wow, I just realized I have not seen a single one of these performances! Unfortunately I will never see all five...sorry Will Smith; your back-end movie profit sharing will have go on without my $10. Always. Forever. Back to more important things...I am very excited to see Ryan Gosling and Forest Whitaker, both transcendent I've read. And that ol' coot Mr. O'Toole (isn't he a "Sir" yet?). He almost declined an honorary Oscar a few years back, saying he thought he could still win one outright (after seven previous nominations!)...and now he almost proves himself right. The sympathy vote is legendary against more critically praised performances (Paul Newman in 1986 beating critical favorite Bob Hoskins, Jessica Tandy in 1989 winning out over Michelle Pfeiffer, who was the Helen "I will win every critics award" Mirren of that year, etc.). But I also have read that O'Toole is right on the heels of Mr. Whitaker in terms of critical praise. And Leo - all I can say is that I was not buying his South African accent in the previews. And what happened with his performance in The Departed? Was it slotted into the supporting actor race like it is at the SAG Awards? Overall, very exciting race...could Mr. O'Toole - or Mr. Gosling - pull an upset?

WILL WIN: don't know yet
BETTER NOT WIN: Duh. Yes you, Mr. Smith
SHOULD WIN: don't know yet

Best Actress
Penelope Cruz - Volver
Judi Dench - Notes On A Scandal
Helen Mirren - The Queen
Meryl Streep - The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet - Little Children

We can't even call this a race. But what a great year for lead actress roles. There's probably another five performances that would have been nominated in other years. Can Kate Winslet do no wrong? (OK, let's not bring up The Holiday - everyone needs a cush job that pays well every now and then). The poor thing will have to win an Oscar - or not - the hard way: through her sheer skill and rich subtlety, not flashiness and pizaaz. You don't even realize she's acting, and we all know the Academy rewards Acting, not acting. She's the Julianne Moore of her generation - should've won by now yet perhaps never will. Penelope Cruz was simply wonderful! I loved everything about her performance; she really took command of that movie in a role different than any other she has played and was a joy to watch. Dame Judi was magnificent. This role reminded me of her role in Mrs. Brown (I hate you forever Helen Hunt for beating her that year) - it starts quite regal and stoic and closed, and then she reveals more and more so that by the end, you're looking at a masterpiece. I love how she uses her voice; her performance should be studied in acting classes. Meryl Streep was great as usual, but would she have been nominated if her name was Mary Smith? Are we getting into auto-nomination with Ms. Streep? That leaves us with Helen Mirren, who should have won a few years back for her portrayal of the sad, regretful staffperson in Gosford Park. Here in the Queen, she again uses her inflections and the briefest of brushstrokes to convey the weight of the nation on her shoulders...and her heart. It really is amazing. In the end though, its the one performance that would not let me go that wins for me: Judi Dench.

WILL WIN: Helen Mirren
BETTER NOT WIN: Meryl Streep (never thought I'd ever say that!)
SHOULD WIN: Judi Dench

4 comments:

UptownD said...

HURRAY! I think I finally figured out how to poast to your blog!!!

Bravo Joe for you indepth analysis. I think a better answer to your Best Actor comments is does anyone really care?

Forrest Whitaker in a movie about Idi Amin, not something the average moviegoer is running out to see. And Blood Diamond was poorly marketed. Will Smith should disappear from all media and poor old Peter O'Toole will be there climbing out of the bottle and lucid long enough to watch his career Award go to someone who played one of the most vile humans to ever walk this planet. SHOULD WIN: Ryan Gosling, a revelation in Half Nelson(but won't).

Rich said...

I just don't understand the Djimon Honsou dis. If anyone deserves the supporting actor award this year it is him. He was not all anger and angst and showed a lot of vulnerability. It sounds like someone didn't see the movie. Jackie Earle Hailey?? Anybody can scream and smash Hummels.

Rich said...

And another thing...Why is it that only the Afrimerican Sup Actress nominee gets your "could she have done the other roles very well" challenge? Given the proper contextual tweaking, I think she could have. I'd like to see Cate Blancett play Effie White!

Linda Rogo said...

Having just recently seen The Queen and Notes on a Scandal, I agree with you Joe. While Helen was fantastic in the Queen, I'd much rather have seen her win for Gosford Park; Judi pulled off the better performance of the two this year.

But Cate Blanchett for Notes? I think we've stumbled into auto-nomination for all the Cates/Kates.

In a post last month, I spoke of my temptation to embargo the Oscars this year. Little did I know how prophetic my words would be! By the time the first award is given out, I'll be on my lunch break Monday in Sydney. If I can restrain myself from looking up the winners on the Internet, I could watch the ceremony Monday night. But watching the Oscars alone from a hotel room doesn't sound quite so fulfilling. So everyone, have fun and dis a dress for me!